Child Development and Parenting: the ESSENTIALS
1. Babies are born to learn. You are their first teacher!
Every interaction matters.
“A baby's brain is a work-in-progress. It is the only organ unfinished at birth...waiting for connection.
This time period is the most important in a child’s life. It sets up their ability to form strong relationships. It sets up their ability to learn new information. It sets up their potential contribution to our society later on.
2. It's all about forming a secure, trusted bond and "serve and return" interactions (5 steps)...
3. And responding to your child's cues in a sensitive way, at each age and milestone. ("responsive care").
This response is something you can learn and practice, so it becomes your everyday norm--especially in stressful situations. If this wasn't modeled to you as a child, you may need to learn and practice even more, to give your child the best start possible.
Zero to three:
4. Create consistent routines for love & learning.
activities at same time, same way, each day...
Learning through routines
5. Set age-appropriate limits & rules for young children to learn how to cope with their emotions (self-regulation & control).
Zero to Three videos & resources
videos & infographics